CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Memories of Grandpa - Fiona

Grandpa

My memories of going to school, playing with friends, and going to Yellowstone as a child have faded. The memories of picnics in the park and playing on the playground wane. On this brink of forgetfulness, I have memories of family get-together. With these come the memories of Christmas and Thanksgivings past. Each of them leads to another. In my mind I have many. The most animated are those that I have of my Grandfather.

Lyle Charles Saurey is this man of whom I speak. Over six feet tall, this handsome man is a very spirited guy. Nothing can make him back away from a challenge. With this kind of personality, he has a lot to give.

From fishing to farming, this man knew his stuff. He took me fishing in snow creek. He would always call me his “girlio.” We would find the perfect spot, and sit on the grass and wait. When I would catch one and he would help me reel it in and put it ona stick to show everyone. He would take all of us down in the field and we would get to an unusually large bump in the dirt road and we would call from the bed of the pick-up, “Fast over the bump, grandpa, fast over the bump!” He would speed up and it felt like we would go flying. I remember when we would herd the cows to a different pasture; grandpa would be in his big old blue truck just chasing those cows. He wouldn’t stop if one veered into the beeline he made; he just hit it and kept on going.

Grandpa was one tough man. But one thing that brought the soft side out was his little granddaughters. Teresa, Beth, and I would always be unnecessarily afraid of him. He threatened to eat our “pigs”. He never ate them, he just attempted to; we were much faster than he. We would squeal and his belly would jiggle with chuckles as he chased us on hands and knees chomping in between his fits of laughter. He would sing to me when I was really young. I remember him holding me to his shoulder and humming. He would sing soothing little “tra la las” in my ear and I felt like I could stay there in his comforting arms forever.

I never will forget all the things he taught me. He taught me to be strong and face the cows when they came tromping by when we moved them. It taught me more that just that though. It taught me that I need to be strong through my trials and don’t back down when temptation comes; fight it! He taught me to be sweet by singing to me and letting me be his girl when I was little. He was always so sweet to me! He taught me not to waste food. Whenever we would sleep at their house, and we would finish eating, he would pile more food on our plates and say we needed to eat more. He also taught me a few words I don’t think anyone would forget, even as a young little girl.

Grandpa, I love how you always say that I’m your pretty girl. Even if you can’t see me very well. I think you are a handsome grandpa. I saw pictures of you a little while ago that I had never seen before. I think you were very handsome when you were young! I can’t believe your bravery. Everyone tells me stories of you not being scared of anything. Like when you went to California and hitch-hiked home. I would have been scared to death to do what you did. I love you so much and I hope you always remember me forever, because I won’t ever forget you.
Your Loving Granddaughter,
Fiona M’lee Saurey

0 comments: