CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Memories of Grandpa - Sarah

I remember coming out to the farm and helping vaccinate cows while Joe and I were still dating. I borrowed a pair of cowboy boots from Josh because our feet were the same size: Josh was 10 years old at the time.

The family herded the cows, loaded the cows into a chute, vaccinated them and then let them loose. One cow, impatient to get out of the chute, moved up and down and got herself stuck on the way out. Grandpa had someone connect a chain from the cow’s neck to his pickup truck. Joe went to hop in the truck when Grandpa pointed to me and instructed me to get in the truck instead to pull the cow out, so I did: I didn’t even think of saying no.

I put the truck in reverse and stepped on the gas, trusting that Grandpa wouldn’t let me hurt the cow. The cow still couldn’t get out. Grandpa told me to give the truck more gas and I did: more and more until the cow finally got loose, and it ran around, unharmed. Grandpa didn’t even need to say anything to me, but when he nodded his head, I felt like he approved not just of me pulling the cow out, but of me dating his grandson, too.

Joe and I often came to Gran and Grandpa’s house while we dated. I loved visiting and I especially loved playing games like rummy and dominoes. In fact I still do.

I love thinking about all the times on the farm riding around looking at cows and the river, Grandpa teasing the kids about getting their pigs, Grandpa setting up treasure hunts for Jared, Rachel and Brock in St. George, and traveling with Grandpa and Gran to California last month. Grandpa loves his family, I know. He doesn’t even need to say anything, because when he nods his head, he says it all.

I love you Grandpa
Happy Birthday!
Sarah

0 comments: