CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Memories of Grandpa - Jake

Dear Grandpa,

Mom has told me about the opportunity I have to share some of the experiences and lessons I have learned that have helped to shape me as a man and as a son and grandson. In taking a few days to try and sort out what I wanted to say, I have a hard time deciding where to start.

So the first thing I want to say is how much I love and appreciate you. There are so many lessons and examples that you have given me and the rest of us. One of my most precious gifts in this life is a family that loves and cares for me. That starts with parents that honor and respect each other. The example you have given me in respect to family is one of eternal value. Seeing how much love there is in our family is a tribute to your devotion to your family. A lesson passed on to my mother.

Then there are the lessons that you have taught, not only to your children, but to us as grandchildren, the savior lives. Your testimony has been a strength to me as I matured and had to develop my own. The desire to do good and be a faithful servant of our Heavenly Father is a quality that is hard to find in people these days. The desire to keep your family active and strong in the gospel gives us all strength to weather the storm. To be able to sit together in the eternities and rejoice as an eternal family is the ultimate accomplishment.

I can’t count how many lessons I have learned from you in respect to work and being honest. Some of those were the hardest lessons to learn but today as I work with people from many locations and backgrounds I can see how much the value of being honest and hard working holds. There is respect that is commanded with those qualities which I have learned from having chores to do around the farm. I don’t know that I have ever met anyone who was as hard a worker and gave an honest days work like you did.

I appreciate more than anything the memories I have of our family and the fun that you made sure we all had. I would like to say some things about you and grandma together. I was recently asked who are some people I look up to and respect. Well, that is easy. I have always looked up to you two for many reasons. I need to thank you both I one aspect in particular. You have given me one of the greatest examples I have. The ability to work together through hard times and the good together to create a lasting and loving relationship that has stood the test of time. That is a sensitive subject for me with my own experience. The gospel has such an important role in our lives and is based on the family being eternal. You both have worked hard to keep your marriage and family together. Its not an easy task but I want you to know that it is one of the greatest examples I have of what I want from a marriage one day. There is something to be said about the character of two people who work together and make a house a home and raise a family of righteous children. You are my role models.

Some of my favorite memories involve the river and the deep dark woods. I believe that was where I learned how to enjoy being with family and knowing that I had the coolest grandparents in the world. How many times did we have friends come and go camping and the cookouts and crows and cranes on the sand bar. The fishing trips to snow creek with just a line and a stick. I can’t count all the memories but I want you to know that I hold them close to my heart and will always cherish them.

Grandpa, once more I want to thank you for your part in teaching me how to be a man and to love God and family. I want you to know I love you and miss having you guys so close. Our latest trip together will be one of my fondest memories of all. I love you both and wish you the best in this celebration. Know that I respect and admire you both for all the lessons and the love that you show each of us. Your legacy will always be strong with your children and grandchildren following your footsteps.

Love,
Jake

0 comments: