CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Memories of Grandpa - Pat

Memories of My Father-In-Law
Lyle Charles Saurey

It seems like such a long time ago that I joined the Saurey Family. You were so kind and accepting of me. (Maybe you were excited that Brent was finally getting married!) You were always so generous with everything. Anything we needed to use, you freely shared. Any time we ate out, you paid. Any time we came over, you fed us. Any time we needed a babysitter, you watched the kids (with one eye open). You were so fun with our children – they loved to be with their grandpa. It was fun for me to learn about farming. I was always amazed at how hard you worked, yet you took time to play and enjoy the beauties of nature. You taught me that in the winter when the woods looked dark, it was warming up. You taught me how to find asparagus and huckleberries. You taught me how to plant and raise garlic and hollyhocks. You taught me how to drive the tractor or pick-up with a load of hay or pipe on it. That scared me to death. Actually a lot of things you did scared me. Our trip to Canada when you pretended to drive off the road onto the truck run away sent my heart racing. You scared the goblins out of me on Halloween when you dressed up in Granny’s fur coat. And, always, you scared me when you drove in the field – running into cows or driving on the ditch bank.

I have a lot of fun memories skating, snow machining, floating the river, and having wiener roasts in the deep dark woods. I loved to have you walk down to our house almost every day to talk to us or get the kids to do something. I liked to look out my window and see you hoeing in my garden. It was fun to share that interest, but even more fun to find a zucchini before you did!

I want to tell you that I love you and to thank you for being the great father-in-law that you have been. You’ve done so much for our family and been a good example of someone who loves the gospel. I admire all your great qualities. You’ve lived an amazing life and I’m glad I could share in a part of it. Happy 80th birthday!

Love,
Pat

0 comments: